[LAST UPDATED]:9th December, 2015
Est. Reading Time: 2 minutes
Listen To My Music
My Latest Podcast Episode
Bear•ing can mean different things to a number of different people.
I’m not so sure about the meaning of bear•ing, but in the military, we used the word to describe our level of maturity. In particular, we noticed that Marines who could not maintain a certain level of bear•ing, they were looked upon as un-respectable. This of course, is only to express the importance of the word bearing.
Bear•ing is a noun. It was developed in the thirteenth century. It describes the manners -isms that we have; that we use to relate with others.
Here’s the best definition that I could find on bear•ing:
7 : the part of a structural member that rests on its supports.
What this means to me
It means to me that there’s a lot that rests on meaning of bearing. The posture and the characteristic of the individual have a lot to do with it.
Some more fun facts about bearing:
- DEMEANOR suggests one’s attitude toward others as expressed in outward behavior.
- MANNER implies characteristic or customary way of moving and gesturing and addressing others.
- CARRIAGE applies chiefly to habitual posture in standing or walking.
I decided to take things a step further to see if the word bearing related in any way to the word carriage. Obviously it will relate in some shape or fashion, but for giggles, let’s look up the meaning of the word carriage.
After diving a little deeper into the meaning of the word carriage, we notice that it can be pronounced a couple different ways.
Also, the word carriage can mean a few different things to different folks.
- It can mean to carry something
- It can mean a characteristic of body language
- It can pertain to management
- It can mean the price for carrying items
- Carriage can mean a burden, or load.
- It can be a horse-drawn vehicle
- Railway passenger
- Wheel support for carrying a burden
- The act of “Importing” from some place
- Lastly: the word carriage can mean a hanger for a sword.
The big idea here is to address that meaning of both two words. Then we wanted to see how it relates to the word bearing. We noticed that they both kind of mean the same thing.
Both can be used in different contexts. You could say:
- We have carriage with us today.
- We need more bearing from you John.
It’s important to know the difference between the two because you never know when you might need some bearing during an interview, or how about somecarriage when you board the plane.
This has been so much fun for me. I love learning new things with you. I’m happy getting more vocabulary into our toolbox of knowledge.
What does bearing mean to me?
Bearing is important to me because it helps me when I communicate with other people. It allows me to conduct myself accordingly. It helps me avoid acting like a fool.
Thank you for viewing this article.